"Fresh Meat Fun Day" for Pacific Roller Derby | Arts & Culture
Information courtesy: PacificRollerDerby.com
Pacific Roller Derby Presents: Fresh Meat Fun Day
Saturday, May 5, 2012
9 a.m. to noon // Kamiloiki Park Hockey Rink // Corner of Lunalilo Home Road and Hawaii Kai Drive
HONOLULU – You’ve seen them hip check, jump the apex of the track, block their opponents and bond at the after-parties. If you want to take your involvement with Pacific Roller Derby from the sidelines to the flat-track, come out this Saturday, May 5 from 9 a.m. to noon for the Fresh Meat Fun Day at the Kamiloiki Park hockey rink in Hawaii Kai.
Don’t know the rules of the sport? Haven’t skated since the third grade? No problem. PRD skaters will explain how roller derby is played—there will even be a short demo— and briefly go over the history of the sport and derby gear 101, before potential derby girls do a fitness assessment and then gear up and take to the flat track. Fresh Meat participants have the chance to learn roller derby from the ground up; no experience or gear is required to attend on May 5. Lunch will be provided afterward, where participants can sign up for Saturday New Girl clinics and chat with league skaters of all backgrounds and experience levels.
To attend, register here:
Email email@example.com for more information.
Where: Kamiloiki Park hockey rink, located on the corner of Lunalilo Home Road and Hawaii Kai Drive
When: Saturday, May 5 from 9 a.m. to noon.
Admission: Free. No experience or gear is required. Lunch will be provided afterward.
Media contact: Tiffany Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT PACIFIC ROLLER DERBY:In 2008, Pacific Roller Derby (Pacific) brought back the excitement of roller derby back to Honolulu, Hawaii. The all female flat-track roller derby league has shown fans what it means to push one’s self to their highest potential and form a strong community around one of the world’s fastest growing female dominated sports. As members of this league we continue to keep the enthusiasm alive and spread the derby love. In 2009, Pacific became a member of the Women’s Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA). Pacific is currently ranked 24 out of 38 in the WFTDA international-based Western division. WFTDA promotes and fosters the sport of women’s flat-track derby by developing athletic ability, sportswomanship, and goodwill among member leagues. Pacific is excited to learn about local sponsorship opportunities and about local venues to call home for their on-skates events so they may continue to spread roller derby’s popularity around the island. For more information, visit www.pacificrollerderby.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Portion of California Ave. closed due to fallen tree
- Portions of Kailua Beach Park to close for sand replenishment
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Closes on Oahu's Highest Home Sale of 2014
- Learn More About Navigating Through New Solar Rules at a Free Solar Open House in Kailua
- Spartan Race Fitness clinic challenges keiki from Boys and Girls Club
- Hawaii National Bank Earns AHA Fit-Friendly Distinction
- Ala Moana Hotel's Annual Partnership with Hawaii Foodbank Fights Hunger with Free Food
- RevoluSun Hires Nicole Lemas as Oahu Project Developer
- Prudential Locations Welcomes Experienced Agents Arashiro and Hsia