Niu Valley Middle School Principal named as finalist in $25,000 School Leadership Award | News
Principal Justin Mew of Niu Valley Middle School was named a finalist in the 2012 Masayuki Tokioka Excellence in School Leadership Awards. One Hawaii public school principal will receive $25,000 (a $10,000 personal cash award and $15,000 towards a school project of his or her choice). The recipient of this year’s award will be announced at the Public Schools of Hawaii Foundation dinner on April 13, 2012 in Honolulu.
The award, which is named after Island Insurance founder Masayuki Tokioka is underwritten by the Island Insurance Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Island Insurance Companies. 11 public school principals from across the state are finalists for the award which recognizes outstanding school principals across the state and their efforts to provide high-quality learning opportunities for their students.
Justin Mew has been principal of Niu Valley Middle School for six years. Upon becoming principal, Mew’s first objective was to change the community and students’ negative perception about the school. Implementing international standards of excellence with the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, this program was developed by diplomats from the United Nations and focuses on eight areas to create a well-rounded student. Today, Niu Valley is the only middle school in Hawaii to attain IB accreditation and the school’s growing enrollment is evidence of the program’s success. During his first year as principal, enrollment was 465, today the school has more than 800 students.
“I really like how our principal has sent his own kids to public schools,” said Zoey Fox, Niu Valley Middle School student. “It makes me feel like I am in the right place if the best of the best is going to send his kids to Niu Valley Middle School.”
The Island Insurance Foundation was established as the charitable arm of Island Insurance, the only locally-owned property and casualty insurance carrier to have a charitable entity solely dedicated to supporting the non-profit community. Island Insurance is Hawaii’s largest locally owned and managed P&C insurance carrier with financial strength ratings of “A” by A.M. Best and Fitch Ratings and is the only Hawaii-Based company to be recognized as one of the Top 50 property & casualty insurance companies in the nation by the Ward Group for four consecutive years. For more information, visit its website at: www.islandinsurance.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Micheal Crews Joins Graham Builders as Project Manager
- Harold K.L. Castle Foundation's Popular ‘I Love Hula In Kailua’ Series Continues On August 10
- Experience a Balloon Monsoon at Kailua Library on July 12
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Elderly woman killed in Kailua pedestrian accident
- Windward Mall Invites Local Non-Profits to Participate in 10th Annual Festival of Giving
- Windward Mall Welcomes Five New Retail and Dining Options
- Kamalapua O Koolau awarded $20K toward youth education in Windward school district
- Ka 'Ohana student newspaper excels in national competition
- Hawaii gas prices remain mostly stable