HFD puts out studio apartment fire in Hawaii Kai | News
HAWAII KAI (HawaiiNewsNow) - Three people are safe after an early-morning fire damaged a studio apartment in Hawaii Kai.
According to the Honolulu Fire Department, the fire broke just after 1 a.m. in a studio apartment attached to a three bedroom, single-story home on Kaumakani Street.
Officials say it appears the fire began in a mattress, which filled the unit with heat and smoke.
Firefighters had the fire under control at about 1:30 a.m. The fire was extinguished just after 2 a.m.
The two men and one woman who reside in the home were not injured by the fire.
Damages to the studio are estimated at $75,000.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kailua Launches Brand New Brunch Event on July 21st
- Kailua residents of burglarized home go online to fight a rise in crime
- Keolu Drive in Kailua reopened after car crashes into hydrant
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties
- LED KAAPANA and MIKE KAAWA OPEN 2013 Kailua Full Moon Concert Series
- Mayor to host celebration of McCully Pool re-opening
- See Award-winning Landscape Architectural Designer's Exhibit at Manoa Library through July 31
- HUGS Sib-Camp provides fun emotional outlet for the “forgotten ones”
- Pacific Allied Products earns world's highest quality management certification
- Units in newest Kakaako condo up for sale