Moped rider dies after plunging over cliff | News
HAWAII KAI (HawaiiNewsNow)- A moped rider has died after a crash near the Lanai Lookout in East Oahu. Authorities said he hit a guardrail and tumbled 75 feet down to a rocky ledge along the shore.
The crash happened at two this afternoon along Kalanianaole Highway. Authorities said a man heading town-bound crossed lanes, struck the guardrail and flew over, landing on a sea ledge at the base of the cliff. The moped remained on the road.
Police closed the highway in both directions between Hanauma Bay and the Halona Blowhole. According to investigators, the victim may be in his 50's. A chopper airlifted him out and an ambulance transported him to the Queen's Medical Center. He was not wearing a helmet.
Police reopened the highway at about 3:30 this afternoon.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HUGS Receives $24,000 from Forever Giving for Emergency Airfare Assistance to Seriously Ill Keiki
- Mariah Williams Captures Speech Title
- CENTRAL PACIFIC BANK’S ‘WALKS FOR YOU’ RAISES $100,454 TO BENEFIT FOUR LOCAL NONPROFITS
- McDonald's Restaurants of Hawaii Awards $25,000 in Scholarships to Ten Employee-Scholars
- Registration Open for John R. Wooden Basketball Camp, June 3 - 6