HAWAII KAI, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow)- Honolulu Fire Department (HFD) Fire Investigators have completed their investigation of the fire at 366 Hanamaulu Street in Hawaii Kai and have classified the cause as accidental.
The fire began in a rear bedroom and was caused by a malfunction of a gas torch that was being used to light candles.
The fire destroyed the Hanamaulu Street home and one vehicle; a Toyota sedan.
HFD dispatched fire companies to the Hanamaulu Street fire at 10:34 p.m. on Thursday. First HFD company arrived at 10:38 p.m. and found the house fully involved in flames.
Firefighters began a defensive attack using hose lines with compressed air foam solution to knock down the fire from the exterior before advancing hose lines into the house to control the fire. Firefighters had the fire under control at 10:59 p.m.